Peter's empty crow, Wendy's strength?

Peter and Wendy and Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens - Jack Zipes, J.M. Barrie

Barrie had me at page 1.
"All children, except one grow up. They soon know that they will grow up...Mrs. Darling cried,'Oh why can't you remain like this for ever!'...henceforth Wendy knew she must grow up...Two is the beginning of the end."
I can't believe how many children's books I read to myself and my daughter, but never Peter and Wendy, just the Golden Book of Peter Pan. This abridged edition of course, includes the main characters, Hook, Smee, Tinker Bell, the crocodile, etc. but it leaves out Barrie's sarcastic and wise commetary.
The Lost Boys knew,"in what they called their hearts that one can get on quite well without a mother, and that it is only mothers who think you can't." One of the Lost Boys remembers that his mother used to ask his father for a check book of her own.
Peter's cockiness and crowing is a large part of his charm and also an irritant and a stumbling block to his growth and his ability to maintain relationships.
If you've seen Mary Martin flying to Neverland, you're probably hooked on the story, but there's so much more.