Black Water Coursing Through Veins

The Blackwater Lightship - Colm Tóibín
The Blackwater Lightship came highly recommended to me. I'm not sure why. It is the story of three generations of angry women. They are cold and hard on the outside. On the inside they are seething. If you go even deeper, they are loving mothers.
In contrast, the Irish men are loving, playful, nurturing, able to take command, but not bossy. They are also loyal and just plain nice.
Helen, one of the main characters, lives in Dublin, which like any city is bustling. It's inhabitants are cosmopolitan and a aware of the AIDS crisis. In contrast, Cush, the little town where Dora, the grandmother lives, Lily, the mother, was born in and lived in for 17 years, and Helen, the daughter lived in for 9 months, is provincial. Dora's house is near the eroding shore and a distance from the nosy neighbors. Not only is "gay" a foreign word, but it's definitely something to be hidden.
Dora took Helen and her brother, Declan in, while Lily's husband, the children's father was in hospital and died. Notice , I didn't say cared for. She fed them, but did not nourish them. Now that Declan is in his final stages of AIDS,he wants to make it right by bringing the family together. This is not a new idea, but because it isn't original it doesn't mean that it's bad. I just feel that the drama, here, is predictable and overly wrought.
The three women are feisty, stubborn, and judgmental. They are capable and financially independent. Yet they can't say, "What's wrong?" or "I'm sorry."
I had sad dreams for two nights. Obviously it is effective; I just didn't like it.