The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry: Free Preview plus Bonus Material - Gabrielle Zevin

It begins like Silas Marner. A curmudgeon, A. J., looses his wealth, an original book of Poe's. It is replaced with an adorable toddler. From there, A, J., the detached widower, begins to socialize and the world is righted. Of course, since A. J. is a book seller, his life revolves around books. This should be appealing.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

This book is fine for a beach read or something right before bed when your attention waning. Because there are so many literary references and strokes for being literate, the reader may enjoy a short stay on an imagined island, Alice, where all of the police take an evening off once a month to discuss detective mysteries . Bi racial relationships are mentioned like a dress color and dropped like a napkin. Somehow, A.J.'s friends are all literary and they all extoll literature. Their lives turn out like plots from books you've, or at least , I've, passed over. I read A Storied Life of A. J. Fikry quickly, maybe because I knew what was coming.